Religious Education (RE)
We consider Religious Education (RE) to be an academic subject. Our curriculum has been planned to reflect the Church of England Statement of Entitlement and to take in to consideration the 2013 national curriculum framework for RE.
Our curriculum is designed to offer learning that:
- Is rooted in theological concepts, strong subject knowledge and content.
- Challenge and an in-depth exploration of religion/belief and practices.
- Motivating, engaging and creative lessons for all children.
- Provides opportunities for children to develop empathy towards people of similar or differing religious or world views to their own.
- Progression of learning both in terms of knowledge and understanding and skills across the primary age range.
The aims of our curriculum are:
- Pupils to know about and understand Christianity as a living faith that influences the lives of people worldwide and as the religion that has most shaped British culture and heritage.
- pupils to know and understand about other major world religions and world views, their impact on society, culture and the wider world, enabling pupils to express ideas and insights.
- To the development of pupils’ own spiritual/philosophical convictions, exploring and enriching their own beliefs and values.
- All children to become religiously literate.
- RE enables all children to live ’life in all its fullness’
- a systematic enquiry-based approach to the teaching of RE that builds pupils knowledge and understanding
All units have been planned to provide opportunities to:
- Reflect on/express
- Develop knowledge and understanding; building on prior learning
Our teaching of RE supports and enhances:
- The overall curriculum intent of the school
- The Christian vision of the school
- The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of children
- The Church of England Schools RE Statement of Entitlement
- The Church of England’s vision for Education – every person deserves to live a ‘life in all its fullness.’
We follow the LDBS agreed syllabus for RE. Please click on the view the: